All Saints History
The Parish of Oxted & Warlingham
History Page ... There are limited records of the parish during this time, but during the war early in 1941, an incendiary bomb did land on the church roof, an event witnessed by one of our senior parishioners, Vic Farmer. Father Bussy did not care for the liturgical changes of Vatican II and pursued the old ways as far as possible. After 28 years as Parish Priest, he died suddenly on 18  January 1974. During his time as Parish Priest, there had been the Vatican Council in 1962 and 1963 and the division of the Diocese of Southwark with the counties of Sussex and Surrey outside the Greater London Boroughs forming the new Diocese of Arundel & Brighton. From 1974 to 2000, there were three Parish Priests, Father Michael Lane from 1974 to 1988, Father Gerald Vann from 1988 to 1994 and Father Robin Mountford from 1994 to 2000. During this time, there was much change in the Catholic Church following Vatican II and a key debate was the need for the re-ordering of the Church. Although All Saints Church was recognised to be a beautiful design with outstanding furniture and fittings, the Church layout inherited from the vision of Father Lang did not permit the new liturgy to be fully effective with a rood screen dividing the priest from the congregation. A temporary people-facing altar was installed in 1974, but it was not until 29  April 1998 under the pastoral care of parish priest, Father Robin Mountford, that plans prepared by parishioner architect Deidre Waddington for a comprehensive reordering of the Church were approved. Sadly Father Robin became ill in 1999 before the construction work started in 2000 and the wonderful church we have today, retaining most of the beautiful features of the original church, had Mass said in it for the first time by our current priest, Father John Olliver on Sunday 21st April 2001 Previous Page The parish is part of the Diocese of Arundel & Brighton Diocesan Trust registered charity no.252878